My plan for today was to do Sunspot’s adoption post. But it’s been a rather hectic week. And you, my Friends, have left so many lovely comments and helpful emails that I decided to give a quick update today instead.
Sammi went to the vet on Monday afternoon. She has a UTI and crystals in her urine. The possibility also exists that she has stones or even some precancerous epithelial cells. When I got home from the vet with Sammi, I found Gideon in distress. He was full-blown into the middle of a “spell” like he’s had in the past – uncontrollable coughing, vomiting, difficulty breathing, and finally exhaustion. I got him through that and hoped he would move past this. On Monday evening, he still had a lot of coughing. Still coughing Tuesday morning, but it never got severe. By noon, however, he had some coughing fits that ended in strain and vomiting. So it was time to involve my veterinary clinic. That’s how I spent Tuesday afternoon. Dr. C looked back for what we’d done in the past (that ER trip). Gideon hadn’t had a spell like this for a long time, but there were TWO of these documented spells in his file rather than the one I remembered. The first time we had taken him to the ER. That was in 2013. But in 2014, he had the exact same symptoms. I remembered now – we didn’t end up in the ER that second time, but we did have to put him on all the same medications. Now here we are again – dealing with something we really can’t explain. He has three medications now and is doing better. But I had to sit with him on Tuesday each time he started into a coughing fit. If I sat with him and talked soothingly to him and petted him, we could eventually get to the other side of each coughing fit without it becoming so severe as to cause vomiting and exhaustion.
That was all fine on Tuesday and Tuesday evening because I was home, but we had plans to be out of town on Wednesday. If other people had not been involved, I would have canceled. I didn’t want to leave Gideon. What if he started having a coughing fit and no one was there. Would it continue until he collapsed? So I talked with my daughters. Husband and I would only be gone six to seven hours. I would get all of Gideon’s medications into him before we left. Younger would already be at work. But Older would stop in on her way to work and check on Gideon. That would be only about an hour after we left. Then Gideon would be on his own until Younger could get here that afternoon. I had to hope that he would be OK in the interim. Also – Sammi’s last pain med would be due while we were gone. Younger would give that, too.
Luckily, I had written my Wednesday post (the first Wildlife Wednesday of the year) a couple of days before. So all I had to do yesterday morning was copy & paste it to my blog. Get through my morning chores by getting up extra early. Medicate Benji, Angel (more next week), Sammi, and Gideon, and I could be on the road. Yeesh. My girls texted me when they were here. No one was in distress. Unfortunately, Sammi is not doing well. She has a follow-up appointment next Wednesday. Gideon is better, but not yet where I'd like to have him. My daughters took little foster kitten Trudi to the vet yesterday, and the news wasn't great. And then late last night, I got a text from Older Daughter that her baby bunny had suddenly died. It was what we were expecting, but every day that it lived pumped a little more hope into us. It's been a less-than-pleasant week concerning the fur babies.
What I want to say to you today is THANK YOU. I’ve said it so many times. It is a blessing to have a safe place to share not only joys and celebrations but also worries and even loss. Your words are comforting and appreciated. Many of you share stories about your own fur babies and how hard it is to watch them suffer. It really helps to hear from you. Also – for all of you who have been sharing with me various things to try for Angel and Sammi, thank you. (I will get you up-to-date on Angel next week.)
We’re in for an all-out Winter weekend here. Highs in the thirties, lows in the twenties. Nearly 100% chance of rain or ice followed by snow on Saturday. But I'm hoping, animal-wise, it will be less worrisome than this week has been. Gonna hunker down, drink some coffee, and shower attention on all of the animals here.
See you next week.