Last week Cynthia P asked for an update on Angel. So here you go Cynthia. I wish it was better news.
I blogged about Angel in December when I was describing a battle we were having with her health. What I at first thought was some type of allergy has turned into a chronic condition that has not responded to any treatment so far. It started with a stopped up nose last Fall. Vet thought allergy so Angel was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic. More steroid shots followed. And another antibiotic. We stopped the steroid shots when they stopped helping. If anything, she is a little worse. The breathing itself is probably about the same. But she can no longer manage canned food and can only barely eat the dry. She mashes the canned food around in the bowl and just can’t get much. She eats a little bit of dry along the way – very little. I have been trying everything to keep nutrition in her. In the last post about her, I explained that I put her on a grain-free diet in case this was a food allergy. She is still on that grain-free diet. And like I said, she is managing to get a tiny bit of dry food into her system. I tried adding gravies and broths and various liquid-type foods. I have researched and researched. Nothing really worked because it all contained large pieces. But I JUST discovered Delectables Bisque packets. She loves them and is able to lick it all up, thus consuming the entire packet. There’s a senior version that has added vitamins. Between those and making a soup of her canned food with water, she is able to continue to eat.
She is now finishing up a THIRD antibiotic. We’ve tried a different one each time hoping it would do the trick. It has not changed a thing. So Angel has an appointment next Wednesday, and we’re going to TRY to do bloodwork. I have no idea if I can hold her down while they draw blood. She completely trusts me now, but she doesn’t trust ANY new situation or person. I’m worried about the appointment. Worried that we won’t get the blood sample needed. Worried that even if we do, it will tell me something I don’t want to know. When I wrote about this in December, I mentioned my fear that this might be a nasal tumor. I went through that years ago with my Waggles dog. It was a nightmare. And of course, in the end, I lost her to it. Because Angel has not responded positively to any treatment, I fear the worst. In addition to that, she has become pale. Her gums are indicating a problem greater than some type of allergy.
You know, she only just became a Wisher a year ago. It was an amazing rescue story and I seriously cannot think of another cat who has ever been so meant to be here. The circumstances were completely amazing in terms of how I ended up with her. This darling was meant to be here. Now, after only a year, I desperately do not want this to be something terminal. I’m hoping with all of my heart that we DO get that blood sample and that it does NOT tell me something I don’t want to hear. Oh, how I love this cat!
I know I’ve explained that Angel lives in a dog run that Husband and I transformed into a kitty condo. But I can’t remember if I told you that we recently custom built a deck for her in the outside run. Here she is enjoying some sunshine.
Listen to this poor little Angel breathing.
Hoping for a new (good) path next week at the vet.
See you tomorrow.